Plagiarism in research papers

This forum is to talk about anything related to academia and graduate studies
Lin

Plagiarism in research papers

Post by Lin »

I got a paper rejected due to high similarity with my previous paper. I thought that reusing text from my on paper is ok. Is that normal? Do i need to rewrite definitions?
Alva

Re: Plagiarism in research papers

Post by Alva »

That is not OK. It is called the self-plagiarism. Yes you read that right. You may face a problem because you copy your own text rather than copying the text of other people.

So be careful about that. It is better to always not copy text from any other papers and try to rewrite in your idea or cite properly when citation must be given to acknowledge the work of others.
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Yes, self-plagiarism is not something to take lightly in recent years. Publisher checks and compare papers to find the similarity and can easily reject a paper that is too similar to other papers (even your papers).
gmc

Post by gmc »

I think there is maybe not more plagiarisim than before in research papers but it is much easier to detect it now, so that is why there seems to be more cases in recent years (in my opinion).
Alva

Post by Alva »

Nowadays with ChatGPT and tools to paraphrase, its gonna be harder and harder to check for plagiarism.