Hot topics in data mining and data science

Here you can discuss any topics related to data mining and big data
gmc

Hot topics in data mining and data science

Post by gmc »

I would like to ask what are the current hot topics in data mining and data science?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hot topics in data mining and data science

Post by admin »

Personally, I see a lot of possibilities on working around complex data types like graphs, sequences, dynamic graphs, data streams, heterogeneous data, etc.
Alva

Post by Alva »

At my institute, almost everyone is doing NLP (natural language processing) and image/video processing these days. I find this depressing. There are many other things to do research on.
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Pattern mining is an interesting topic in data science. It consists of the discovery of frequent sets, of which the support (number of occurrences of the pattern) is above a given threshold. In many cases, support is inversely correlated to the size of the patterns, so that the most interesting patterns have small support, often under 1% of the data. It has been shown that finding frequent sets is NP-hard and known to be in the worst case even hard to approximate. Also, if the data is massive or given as a stream, classical approaches are often no longer suitable, due to the size of the dataset or the sheer number of sequential scans. Developing new algorithms for pattern mining tasks is an interesting research topic with many opportunities.