Eclat vs Apriori

This is for discussing anything related to pattern mining (e.g. itemsets, sequential patterns, subgraph mining)
Mark

Eclat vs Apriori

Post by Mark »

In my data mining course, we learnt about two popular algorithms for itemset mining called Apriori and Eclat. which one Is the best?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Eclat vs Apriori

Post by admin »

There could be situations where each algorithm is better but generally Eclat Is more efficient.

The big problem of Apriori Is that it uses a breadth first search. Because of this it needs to keep at every moments two levels in memory (a level means itemsets having the same number of items that are candidats or frequent itemsets). This can require a massive amount of memory.

On the contrary, Eclat does a depth first and can keep a limited number of equivalence classes in memory. The concept of equivalence class also allows to quickly find itemsets that can be combined together. In Apriori, finding itemsets that can be combined Is less efficient.

Apriori has another problem which Is to scan the database many times to compute the support of itemsets. Eclat can compute the support without scanning the database by using the TID lists. However, these lists Can be Very large and take much memory for large and sparse datasets. For this reason, diffsets week introduced in dEclat and other techniques.

After Eclat and Apriori, some much faster algorithms have also been proposed.
Lin

Post by Lin »

And how about FPgrowth, Is it the same?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fpgrowth Is different. It Is a pattern growth algorithm. while Apriori and Eclat can generate candidates that dont exist in the data, fpgrowth does not which makes it much more efficient. It also uses a compact tree structure to store the database and its projections.
Alva

Post by Alva »

Apriori is quite easy to learn thought. So many papers, books and videos. I learnt it last year in data mining analyses course.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I also learnt Apriori at University. That is a very basic algorithm. I used to have difficulty to understand it. But after reading and reading, I mastered it haha
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way, you can also watch my Youtube channels which explains the Eclat and Apriori algorithms:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk26Ei ... AQniOV_oyQ

These two videos:
- The Apriori algorithm
- The Eclat algorithm
gmc

Post by gmc »

admin wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:24 pm By the way, you can also watch my Youtube channels which explains the Eclat and Apriori algorithms:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk26Ei ... AQniOV_oyQ

These two videos:
- The Apriori algorithm
- The Eclat algorithm
Thanks Prof. Philippe for sharing. I found there are many useful videos on your channel. I have subscribed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for subscribing. I appreciate your support.

Philippe