What to do when your research is stuck?

This forum is to talk about anything related to academia and graduate studies
farmy

What to do when your research is stuck?

Post by farmy »

Hi all:
I would like to know how you get un-stuck where you are stuck in your research. It is like the blank page problem of book writters. Sometimes, I feel that my research is not going forward in any ways. Do you have tips and tricks to get unstuck and move faster in research?
gmc

Re: What to do when your research is stuck?

Post by gmc »

If you are stuck, I think the best solution is to go outside for a walk to empty your mind. Then sometimes, when you come back you will have that "Eureka" moment. Sometimes it is just better to take a break. Doing some yoga, sports or listening to some calm music can also help to focus on work and get in a better mood for working. For me this helps a lot.
admin
Site Admin

Re: What to do when your research is stuck?

Post by admin »

A good strategy is to make a plan, which consists of breaking down a larger goal into small goals and every day to fix some realistic set of small goals that you want to achieve. If you are "stuck" on a task, it might be due to several reasons. If it is a lack of creativity or ideas, then taking a break can be good but also talking about your tasks with colleagues or your supervisor or friends. Or you may even talk about it on this forum ;-)